WELCOME! For more than 295 years, First Congregational Church has ministered to the Sutton community, providing a spiritual home where generations have worshiped, laughed and cried, dreamed dreams and responded to the call of God. Today we continue to proclaim Jesus’ message of Love, Hope and Joy as we look to the challenges and opportunities of ministry.
The Mission of the First Congregational Church of Sutton is to:
Serve God by sharing the teaching, faith, love and forgiveness of Christ.
Provide an open and caring place of worship.
Serve our church family and community in the spirit of charity and faith.
Our Statement of Faith (abridged)
Our roots are in biblical, historical Christianity as it emerged in the Protestant Reformation.
We believe in God, the Eternal Spirit, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ and the Creator of All;
The Lordship of Jesus Christ who offers us new life. This life was purchased by Jesus’ sacrifice, death and resurrection. We receive this new life as His gift through faith;
Through the Holy Spirit, the Church of Jesus Christ is created and renewed binding us in Faith.
The Church as a family of believers, bonded together forever by One Lord, One Faith, and One Spirit.
A Brief History of the Church
The history of the First Congregational Church of Sutton is a full and interesting story covering almost 300 years. The Church was organized in 1720 with ten members, all male. The townspeople were taxed to raise the money for building a Meeting House and for paying the salary of the minister. Later, when church and town affairs were separated, the pews were deeded to members and taxes were set on the pews for these expenses. Now, we members make pledges each year to pay to support the church and its ministry.
The building we have today is the third built by the First Congregational Church. The first building, built in 1720, was on the west side of the Common (the Town Hall side) the second building, built in 1751, was on the south side of the Common (near or in front of the red brick store) and the present building was built in 1829. The first two buildings were plain with clear glass windows and simple wooden benches with backs. The second building burned in 1828.